The causes and remedies for children’s coughs
As a parent, there’s nothing quite as distressing as hearing your child cough incessantly. Coughing is a common ailment in children, often triggered by various factors. While it’s natural to worry when your little one is under the weather, understanding the causes and methods of children’s cough treatment can help you navigate these challenging moments with confidence.
In this blog, we will be taking a brief look at everything you must know about children’s cough, the various cough causes there are, how they are related to sore throat, and more. If your child happens to facing a similar situation as well, we suggest taking them to the best hospital in Lucknow, something that would help with effective and timely remediation.
Understanding Children’s Coughs: The Basics
Coughs in children can be broadly categorized into two types: acute and chronic.
- Acute Cough: These are brief, usually lasting less than three weeks. The cough causes in this case involves viral infections, such as the common cold, flu, or croup. In fact, up to 70% of acute coughs in children are linked to viral infections.
- Chronic Cough: A cough that persists for more than eight weeks is considered chronic. Chronic coughs in children are often associated with conditions like asthma, allergies, or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Primary cough causes in children:
- Viral Infections: Viruses, such as rhinovirus and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), are common culprits behind acute coughs in children.
- Bacterial Infections: In some cases, bacterial infections like pneumonia can lead to coughing.
- Allergies: Allergic reactions to pollen, dust mites, or pet dander can trigger coughing fits.
- Asthma: Approximately 8.3% of children in the United States have asthma, a chronic respiratory condition that often leads to coughing.
- GERD: Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) can cause stomach acid to flow back into the oesophagus, leading to chronic coughs.
- Environmental Irritants: Smoke, pollution, and strong odours can irritate a child’s airways and induce coughing. They can cause a sore throat as well.
Now that we’ve covered the primary causes of children’s coughs, let’s explore some effective remedies.
Remedies for Children’s Coughs
Hydration and Humidity
- Encourage your child to drink plenty of fluids to keep their throat moist. Hydration helps soothe irritated airways. This is one of the best ways for allergy cough treatment.
- Use a humidifier in your child’s room, especially during dry months. Adding moisture to the air can act as a cough treatment. Visit a hospital in Lucknow if the symptoms persist.
Honey for Cough Relief
- Honey is a natural cough suppressant. For children over one year old, you can mix a teaspoon of honey with warm water or herbal tea before bedtime. Cough treatment needs to be a multi-pronged approach.
- Ensure you never give honey to children under one year old due to the risk of botulism. Take them to a hospital in Lucknow if the cough and sore throat persists.
Saline Nasal Drops
- Saline nasal drops or sprays can help relieve congestion and reduce coughing, especially if your child has a cold. Allergy cough treatment can be implemented in this manner as well.
Elevating the Head
- Elevate your child’s head while sleeping to reduce post-nasal drip and coughing at night. You can place a pillow under the mattress or use a specially designed-wedge pillow.
Cough Drops or Lozenges
- For older children (typically over six years old), sugar-free cough drops or lozenges can provide relief by soothing the throat.
- Steam inhalation can ease chest congestion. Create a steamy environment in the bathroom by running a hot shower and allowing your child to breathe in the moist air.
Over-the-counter (OTC) Medications
- Consult your paediatrician before using any OTC cough or cold medications, especially for children under the age of six. These medications may not be safe for young children.
- If your child’s cough is caused by an underlying medical condition like asthma or GERD, your doctor may prescribe appropriate medications.
- Identify and eliminate potential environmental irritants in your home, such as cigarette smoke or strong odours.
When to Seek Medical Attention
While many cough treatment can be managed at home, it’s crucial to recognize when medical attention from a top hospital in Lucknow is essential.
- High Fever: If your child has a persistent high fever along with a cough, it’s wise to consult a healthcare professional for cough treatment.
- Difficulty Breathing: If your child exhibits severe wheezing, rapid breathing, or struggles to catch their breath, seek immediate medical help.
- Prolonged Cough: If your child’s cough lasts for more than three weeks or becomes chronic, consult a paediatrician.
- Coughing Up Blood: If your child coughs up blood or pink-tinged mucus, it’s a serious sign that requires prompt medical attention.
- Other Concerns: Trust your parental instincts. If you’re ever unsure about your child’s health, don’t hesitate to contact the appropriate doctor at a hospital in Lucknow.
Preventing Children’s Coughs
Prevention is always better than cure. Here are some steps you can take to reduce the risk of your child developing a cough:
Hand Hygiene: Teach your child proper handwashing techniques to reduce the spread of viruses.
Vaccinations: Ensure your child is up-to-date on vaccinations, including the flu vaccine.
Allergen Control: If your child has allergies, take measures to minimize exposure to allergens, such as using hypoallergenic bedding and keeping windows closed during high pollen seasons.
Asthma Management: If your child has asthma, work closely with their healthcare provider to manage the condition effectively.
Smoke-Free Environment: Maintain a smoke-free home and avoid exposing your child to secondhand smoke.
Dealing with a coughing child can be challenging, but armed with knowledge about the causes and remedies for children’s coughs, you can provide the best care possible. Remember, most childhood coughs are a temporary inconvenience, and the cough causes are pretty prevalent in our environments. With the right remedies and precautions, your child will be back to their cheerful, healthy self in no time.
Always prioritize your child’s well-being and health over everything else, especially if we are talking about cough and sore throat. Visit a super-speciality hospital in Lucknow today.